NOVEMBER 5, 2023
WHY SUPPORT THE NATION OF ISRAEL?
- God made a covenant with Israel through Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3).
- Land – To the land which I will show you; …Then the Lord told him, “I am the Lord who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land as your possession” (Gen. 12:1; 15:7; 17:7-8;18).
- People – and I will make you a great nation (Gen. 12:2; 17:4-6; 18:18).
- Blessing – And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed (12:3; 26:4; 28:14).
- God was speaking of Gentiles He would justify by faith in Christ (Gal. 3:8-9).
- This includes every tribe, tongue, people, and nation (Rev. 5:9).
- God’s covenant is unilateral and unconditional. On that day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, “To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt as far as the great river, the river Euphrates (Genesis 15:18).
- God passed through the halved animals without Abraham (Gen. 15:17). The certainty of His covenant does not depend on Abraham or his offspring.
- The very existence of Israel as a nation today more than 4,000 years after Abraham is an universal reminder God is keeping His promise. The late conservative Jewish commentator Charles Krauthammer – The Weekly Standard, May 11, 1998: “Israel is the very embodiment of Jewish continuity: It is the only nation on earth that inhabits the same land, bears the same name, speaks the same language, and worships the same God that it did 3,000 years ago.
- God promised to bless those who bless and curse those who curse Israel (Gen. 12:1-3).
- Every nation that has been a blessing to Israel has been blessed.
- Every nation that has been a curse to Israel has suffered God’s judgment (Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Greece, Rome, Spain, Poland, Germany, Russia).
- What is true for the nations is true for the Church as well. We cannot go defy God and expect His blessing.
- Does this mean we support all that Israel stands for? NO. We do not endorse all Israel does. Rather, supporting Israel issupporting God’s plan for mankind.
- Is God finished with Israel?
- The Apostle Paul asks: I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew … a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved (Romans 11:1-2; 25-6).
- God asks in Isaiah 66:8 Can a land be born in a day? Yet, Israel was reborn politically May 14, 1948 (Jer. 16:15; Ezek. 36:11) In a single day, she will also be born spiritually (Isa. 66:10-14; Zech. 12:8-10).
- Why is there so much hatred around the world for Israel?
- God said Israel will be hated in the last days. It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured. And all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it (Zechariah 12:3).
- The sadistic cruelty and vitriolic hatred for Israel is ultimately spiritual not political or logical.
- What is Israel’s future?
- The nation of Israel will neither be destroyed nor displaced due to God’s covenant promise.
- Russia and Iran will continue to ally against Israel leading up to Gog and Magog (Ezek. 38).
- We need to both support Israel and pray for the salvation of her people and all people.